From SD Times
Bandwidth, one of the nation’s leading communications technology companies, today announced that it is the first telecommunications provider to offer a direct-to-carrier cloud API platform for voice and messaging.
The Bandwidth App Platform is a cloud communications API platform that allows software companies to easily create voice calling and messaging products. The platform also allows easy API integration with essential carrier-powered services such as automated phone number porting APIs, better text messaging interoperability with short codes and E911 services.
Mobile and internet-based applications are changing the way we talk and message, as services such as Pinger and WhatsApp have risen from obscurity to billions of users worldwide. As these services have grown in popularity, they have been supplemental services – but not replacements – for traditional phone lines and wireless connections in North America.
The next wave of OTT innovation and growth must address how to replace more expensive but less feature rich communication services. Many of these services will be built directly on API platforms that need access to all the features traditional services have, such as:
- Fast and easy phone number porting so users can keep their numbers
- Virtual phone numbers that can receive text messaging with any short-code
- Business-grade features like updating Caller Id databases for a business number
- Ability to call 9-1-1 and services to register numbers for emergency calls
Bandwidth’s unique carrier capabilities supplement features already delivered directly through the App Platform API. This allows for:
- Searching and activating phone numbers throughout North America
- U.S., Canadian and Toll-Free numbers
- Managing call routing, bridging, record and transcribing calls
- Sending and receiving text messages
- Texting to speech and building IVRs
- Playing media files on phone calls
- Sending and receiving DTMF and keypad input
- Conference calling
Bandwidth has a strong history of growing emerging applications with the most disruptive voice and messaging apps. The App Platform’s launch makes it easier to work with Bandwidth to launch new products and drive user growth.
“The next phase of growth from the OTT industry will be driven by each provider’s ability to interact and operate with any type of voice or messaging service,” said Steve Leonard, EVP and General Manager at Bandwidth. “It’s especially important that these providers understand the value of a direct carrier relationship in the next phase of their journey. It offers them features that have not been previously available before, yet are essential as users want to move away from traditional phone and wireless services into more software-centric software communication services.”
To learn more or sign up for the Bandwidth App Platform, visit http://bandwidth.com/api-platform.